Monday, February 21, 2011

Penguin day

On Sunday we took Andrew, Frances and Katrine to see the ice cave. We had arranged to leave at 11:30 so naturally we did not set of till nearly an hour later as Frances the master faffer continuously found something else to do. She is skilled in trying what little patience I was gifted with, however, we did eventually set off and all was good.
We followed the road taking the right fork heading down along the scooter track in the valley. As we drew closer to the valley leading to the cave we headed up again so that we could start the day with a nice gentle slide down the hill. The wind was much harsher then it was on Saturday and it whipped up the snow a fair amount in some places. We opened the entrance with ease and Stu headed in while I chucked the bags in after him. I then followed with Andrew close behind. We waited around on the inside for a bit lighting the candles and setting out a mat so we could sit down and eat our lunch. Frances came in a bit later telling us that Katrine was not going to come in as the entrance way was very narrow and did not want to squeeze through the hole. Frances then went back out to stay with her and get her to try to come inside while the boys and I ate our lunch. A while later another girl came in through the entrance telling us that Frances and Katrine would not be coming into the cave and that she was also trying to convince her mother to come inside. I went outside with her to try to help as the wind outside was harsh and cold and it was much better for them to be inside or they would soon have to walk home. Understandably Katrine was worried about the head room and sliding head first into the cave as when you are at the entrance you cannot tell when or if it opens up. I lay on my front sticking out of the entrance and took her hands as we slowly made our way into the cave attempting to reassure her at each point. She did an awesome job and we got into the cave smiling and happy. As Stu and I had been in the cave the previous day we had an idea of what we were looking at and we wanted to go and explore the tunnel we had found the previous day a little more.
Heading out the back of the cave, Stu with camera in hand, we showed Andrew and Frances the entrance to go through. This time I took point, though my torch gave off very little light, and made my way to where the tunnel opened up again.


We knew that there was another entrance to the cave and in previous years it was possible to go all the way through the cave, nearly 2 hours, straight up onto the top of the glacier. Once again taking point we headed up through the cave, although the cave had widened the celling was still very low and you had to be at most crawling over the rocks or on the stream. This meant that you knees got seriously battered and, as I have discovered since I came to Svalbard, I bruise like a peach. At one point we decided that we had maybe gone far enough, as the celling did not seem to be opening up any more, and planned to leave the camera on the side as we looked some more. As I move a few more feet however, I shouted back to Stu, “You are gonna wanna bring that camera through here!” The cave had opened up in height and width to a crystal lined cave that appeared to go on forever. We were easily able to stand up now with room to spare and as we kept following the cave up.


Andrew had turned back a while ago to go stay with Kristine and Frances was a fair way back (faffing). Taking pictures along the way we headed as far back as we could get standing up. At the end the cave split off into two and it was unclear where it went next, however, there was a narrow tunnel with snow around it and another dark spot in the wall on the other fork (exploring for another time I think).
We headed back meeting Frances just as she was coming out from under the low tunnel and gave her time to have a look around before we headed back to the main entrance. As Frances carried on walking up Stu and I turned our torches off, the cave was absolutely pitch black not even a stray twinkle of the ice crystals surrounding us, it was amazing. The crawl back felt much quicker than getting there, however, as it was downhill and you were crawling over rocks, sometimes flat on your stomach, you ended up banging you knees and elbows a lot more. When we got back to the main cave we took a few snaps before heading out to go sliding down some insane hills.

The slope just opposite the caves entrance seemed to be calling Stu’s name as it was incredibly steep and appeared to be fairly solid snow (there also happened to be a rather convenient stack of rocks up the side making it easier to climb up to the top).

I managed to get some video footage of all of us sliding down as well as a few silly ones where I was holding it while sliding down (these mostly consist of a soundtrack of me screaming while the camera whites out with snow that I kick up on the way down).

Frances had brought a bum sledge type thing at the coop and went on a suicidal run down the hill right from the top losing it half way down. This, of course, sparked a race of who could climb up the slope to get to it first. Frances was the closest and started trying almost immediately sliding back down before getting to it. I tried the speed approach running up the hill as fast as I could; however, I hit a patch of solid snow and promptly slid back down. As I made my way back on my feel I climbed on all fours like a gorilla and hearing Andrew approaching from behind made a mad dash for it. I managed to grab it just moments before he got his hand there. Victory was mine!


Once we had all been thoroughly covered in snow and our clothes had solidified in the cold we decided that it was time to head home. Overall it was an awesome day and although my left knee is so bruised it kind of hurts to bend it, it was well worth it.
*Thanks Stu for the fabulous photos that match what i am saying perfectly*

No comments:

Post a Comment