Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Survival training 101 - Day 1

The day to be honest did not start out great. Well no that is a lie because, although I woke up way too late I did start the download for the two new episodes of Lie To Me season 3 and I watched the promo clips so that put a nice smile on my face.
The waking up late meant I didn’t really have time for, well much at all, to be honest. I made some sandwiches with the bread Stu and I had made the night before and quickly left with Stu, Andrew and Frances to head down to UNIS. We got to UNIS a little late and I ran around for a bit trying to find the room I was supposed to be in but eventually got there.
The first part of the day was spent in the UNIS store room learning how to use the emergency camp equipment and set up trip wires for polar bears. Within five minutes of starting, however, my vision started to black out and my hearing was going. I could literally feel the blood draining out of my face. I managed to get a seat on some nearby crates and in less than a minute I could not see a thing and my hearing had gone completely. When I had sat down my head started to slowly clear but I got really warm and pale and the nausea did not go for quite a while. If I am honest I am still feeling it now.
In the first hour and a half of the class we learnt how to set up the tent from the emergency kit and how to use everything and anything as a part of a first aid kit. After a sit down and chat with the rest of the people in my group we moved on to learn how to set up the stoves and safe practice. We then moved outside where the light from the hidden Sun could just be seen as a lighter blue glow in the southern horizon. Outside we learnt how to set up the trip wire in the cold and dark and how to use the snow to set the height of the wire. It did unfortunately get set off by a German Polar Bear called Thomos.
It was then time for a quick lunch with the boys before heading to the afternoon’s lectures learning about what to do if you fall into a cravas on a glacier. The afternoon lectures went relatively quickly as it was all done inside and I had covered a large amount of the rope work and knots in climbing when I was a child. Working as a team we managed to create a 6:1 pulley system to aid in the rescue of a person who had fallen down a cravas. I and a few others in my group ended up having a discussion about their English accents and Oddy expressed the fact that he would prefer to have a scouse English accent rather than an American one. Now I understand not wanting the American one but, Scouse!
Overall it was not a bad or good first day but I met some cool new people and even learn some of their names. My opinion on the illness is the extreme lack of anything my body has learnt to function on over its lifetime namely, large amounts of sugar, coke, caffeine from the coke, acid from the coke and sunlight (although I thought I was dealing quite well with the last one until today).
I feel that my revision may be suffering slightly but I’m in the fricking Arctic for crying out loud. That is just so totally awesome no matter how crap I feel.
Oh yeah and Lie To Me double bill was so totally wicked. Love the new episodes.
"Did she just call me sexy?...She did. She just called me sexy"

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness Hannah i hope you're feeling better :s tres worried, should i inform mother? She'll probably read this anyway! Did you want us to send you some coke? How much would that cost i wonder, as long as you can carry it back from the post office we could send it right?
    Trust you, on a long write up about polar ice training to post a picture of friggin Lie To Me!!! Glee is on E4, i loved the first ep, and i just watched the first 2 episodes of No Ordinary Family, i liked it! New season of Criminal Minds is epic! Have you read that Sebastian Roche is going to be joining for a little while in a nice arc story!!! Eeeeeeeeeppppppppp hotness!!! Anywho enough tv, have fun times :D xxx

    ReplyDelete